When you get behind the wheel of your new Toyota near Leesburg, you obviously want to ensure that you’re going to have a safe driving experience. You buckle up, look both ways, and put down your cell phone so you can concentrate on driving, not on flicking through your iTunes library or texting your friend (right?). Unfortunately, the NHTSA recently reported that traffic fatalities are on the rise for the first time in quite a while – in fact, it went up for the first time in seven years in 2012. Traffic fatalities went up 3.3%, injuries increased by 145,000 a year, and as it turns out, the victims are usually the people outside of the vehicle. Pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists are all at risk – but what can you do to help prevent these tragedies?
What steps can you take to be safer in your new Toyota near Leesburg?
There are steps you can take when you’re commandeering your Clermont Toyota to ensure you share the road safely, and our family of dealerships is here to share them! You already ensure that the passengers inside the car get the safest driving experience possible – why not do the same for those outside of your vehicle?
- Always be sure to look twice whenever you’re maneuvering your new Toyota near Leesburg through a turn, changing lanes, or pulling out of a driveway or alley. Look, prepare to make your move, and then look again – sometimes you don’t see motorcyclists or pedestrians the first time and this can prevent serious injury or fatality.
- When you’re driving your new Toyota behind a motorcyclist, you should always leave a little bit of extra space for a buffer zone. Motorcyclists will often swerve in their lanes to avoid potholes and other obstructions on the road. Additionally, if you rear end them because you’re forced to slam on your brakes you will undoubtedly do a lot more damage than you would to a car, no matter how small the accident.
- Make sure you keep your windshield clean, your wipers in good condition, and your headlights bright. This makes it easier to see pedestrians and bicyclists and reduces the chance of an accident in your new Toyota near Leesburg.
- Always be aware of pedestrian areas like crosswalks, bus stops, school crossing zones, construction areas, etc. and adjust your speed and driving habits accordingly. In these areas you should practice the “scan and search” tactic – be on the lookout for pedestrians and cyclists rather than waiting for them to cross your path and then reacting.
- Be sure to signal your movements with your turn signals, and leave plenty of time for bicyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians to realize where you’re headed. This is especially true with bicyclist and motorcyclists, who will often share the actual road with you and need to be aware of your movements to avoid a collision.
Want more information on how to safely drive your new Toyota near Leesburg around bicyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists? Visit our family of dealerships today! Both Toyota of Orlando (888-725-3520) and Toyota of Clermont (888-590-6090) have tons of tips for you, as well as safety technology that can make your driving experience more efficient and give you a greater peace of mind. Stop by and see us today!