You’re excited and looking forward to buying that Orlando used car you found in the newspaper or online ad, but how do you know it’s the one for you? Before you meet with the seller and hand over the money, there are a couple of steps to ensure you will be buying a safe and reliable ride that you will love! We’re sharing tips for buying a pre-owned car from a private seller and questions to ask the seller!
Buying a used car from a private seller
You’ve been scanning newspaper classifieds and online advertisements for weeks or months now looking for your new ride -and you’ve finally found it! You’ve got your eyes set on a pre-owned car for sale by a private seller, your next step is to do your research!
- Read reviews and articles about the make, model and year. Take note of any issues or problems people frequently experience with that car.
- Pull a vehicle history report for the specific car you’re looking at. A history report will have a recorded amount of miles for the vehicle as well as service records, accident history and reported number of owners.
Once you’ve researched the car, it’s time to arrange a meeting with the private seller! Remember, safety first. If you’re meeting with a stranger, schedule a meeting during the day, in a public place, and bring someone with you if it makes you feel more comfortable. After you’ve arranged a meeting, prepare a list of questions to ask the seller! You want to ask questions that will help you determine if this Orlando used car is going to be a worthwhile investment. Questions you should ask the seller of a pre-owned car in Orlando include:
- Are they the original owner of the car? If they are the only person to own the vehicle, this leaves less room for discrepancies in the car’s history.
- How many miles does the car have? Compare the amount of miles the seller tells you or that the odometer says to the vehicle history report you viewed.
- What condition is the car in? While the physical condition is easily seen with the eye, ask the seller of the Orlando used car if it has any hidden problems.
- Has it been routinely maintained? Ask to service records to ensure the car has been well taken care of.
- Has the car even been in an accident? Compare the accounts from the seller to the records on the Carfax report.
- Why are they selling the car? Inquire as to why they are getting rid of the used car. If the reason seems a bit fishy, you may want to turn your searches toward another pre-owned car in Orlando.
No questions are necessary at Toyota of Clermont!
At our Orlando pre-owned car dealership, we have a wide variety of makes and models. All of our pre-owned cars on the lot have been inspected and deemed safe and reliable. We even offer FREE copies of the Carfax history reports. If you want to shop our best used cars and find a pre-owned car that will last you for years, visit us! We’re located at 16851 State Road 50.