Have you been thinking about ways to save money this summer? Consider taking care of some car maintenance on your own! Toyota of Orlando is sharing DIY car maintenance tips so you can save money and learn how to take care of your car! These repairs do not require an auto expert or any mechanic inclination, they are quick and easy!
3 DIY car maintenance tips from Toyota of Orlando!
#1- Replace the air filter! A simple auto service that can help you increase your performance and fuel efficiency is to remove the old, dirty engine air filter and replace it a fresh, new one! Air will flow through it better and improve the way your car runs.
- First, locate where the engine air filter is under the hood. Check the owner’s manual of your car if you cannot find it!
- Make a note of how the filter sits, remove it from the casing and throw the old one away in the garbage.
- Replace it with the new air filter, inserting it into the casing just as the old one was placed.
#2-Installing new windshield wipers! An auto repair that only takes about 15 minutes can help you stay safe while driving in the rain! You can purchase new windshield wipers from our Orlando Toyota Parts Department and install them easily!
- Lift the wiper arms and remove the old blades by pushing a tab on the underside. Pay close attention to how these were connected to the arms.
- Attach the new blades by following directions on the package!
You typically need new windshield wipers after 6 to 12 months of use, or if you see that they are not working as well as they used to. When they begin to skip, hop or squeal across the windshield they are in need of replacement.
#3- An at-home oil change! Changing the oil in your engine is easy Orlando car maintenance, you just have to have the right supplies and know the right steps!
- Gather your supplies: a car jack, oil drain pan, funnel, wrench and oil filter wrench. Don’t forget about buying new oil and a new oil filter!
- Once you have the car jacked up safely, position the oil pan underneath the drain plug. Loosen the drain plug using wrench and pull it out to let the old oil drain out completely into the pan. Once you’re sure all the used oil is out, replace the drain plug.
- Using the oil filter wrench, remove the old oil filter and replace it with the new one. Ensure there is a tight seal before moving on!
- Last but not least, fill up the oil into the reservoir using the funnel. Pour until full and replace the oil cap. Check the new oil level using the dipstick and voila!
Leave it to the experts at Toyota Service Center in Orlando!
If DIY car maintenance isn’t your style, our Toyota service technicians would love to give you a hand! Bring your car in to our Orlando auto service center for affordable car maintenance! We’re located at 3575 Vineland Rd., just off of I-4!