Nothing gets you in the Halloween spirit quite like a spooky movie. We’re here to help! To save you from the unenviable task of finding freakishly good movies, we’ve compiled a list of flicks to watch this October. And we have options for the family, for classic horror movie lovers, and for those who like movies with modern special effects! Check them out:
Fun for the Entire Family:
Need something to watch with the kids this Halloween? We’ve got a list of spooktacular family-friendly classics that won’t put you to sleep or give the little ones nightmares! So get out the popcorn, candy, and flashlights and cuddle up with your children for a night of family time with one (or more) of these movies:
- Hocus Pocus
- Nightmare Before Christmas
- The Addams Family
- Casper Meets Wendy
- Tower of Terror
Do your little ones prefer new-school movies with better special effects? Don’t fret; we’ve got a bewitching alternative list for you and your futuristic children. Opt for these instead:
- The Corpse Bride
- Hotel Transylvania (1 & 2)
- Scared Shrekless
- Haunted Mansion
- The Boxtrolls
For those who Love a Classic Scare
Yes, the newer movies have amazing special effects. No, they can’t possibly top these scary masterpieces! The classic horror movies we’ve listed tapped into our fear of the unknown and in many ways set the standard for future movies to come! If you don’t get to all of these in time for Halloween – keep them on your list. They are all must-watches!
- A Nightmare on Elm Street
- Friday the 13th
- The Poltergeist
- The Shining
- The Exorcist
New-School Frightful Movies
Do you eye-roll at outdated special effects? We get you. That’s why we’ve got an alternate list of movies from the early 2000s and beyond. For the modern scare-seeker, we’ve got six supernaturally scary movies you’ll enjoy:
- The Conjuring
- The Ring
- The Cabin in the Woods
- The Grudge
BONUS: Easy Halloween Treats
A real BOOnanza isn’t complete without some freakishly delicious food! We’ve put on our spooky thinking caps on for you, and compiled a short list of easy-to-make Halloween treats the family can enjoy:
- Dirt N’Worms – This classic Halloween treat never goes out of style. Whether you’re having friends over or want to make something for the family, this treat is a definite win.
- Nutter Butter cookie ghosts – Three simple ingredients make this adorable recipe – and these cookies are so good, you’ll probably make another batch. You’ve been warned!
- Magical Witch Wands – Your little fairies, witches, and warlocks will have a grand time making and eating these simple, fun wands out of pretzel sticks.
- Creepy Cake Pops – Make these cake pops with your little Picassos, and let them express their creativity by allowing them to decorate their own!
If there’s one thing you can take away from these finger foods, it’s that you can turn nearly any food into a Halloween dish. So don’t be afraid get creative!
We hope you have a fantastic night in with your loved ones! Here’s to a frightfully delightful evening.