It’s the middle of August which means school is back in session and the roads are more crowded in the mornings and afternoons. Not only do you have to face the school zone chaos, but now the highways and interstates will be more congested. It can be frustrating getting stuck in back-to-school traffic, especially if you aren’t going back to school yourself! However, there are ways to help get through morning and afternoon traffic – our Orlando Toyota dealerships have tips!
Safe driving tips for school year traffic
During the summer months, you forget how grateful you are for the lack of morning and afternoon traffic. However, when August comes around, you realize you didn’t know what you had until it was gone! Now that the roads are a little more crowded on your morning commute, it’s important that you keep safe driving in mind. Not only are there more cars on the road, but there are more kids out and about, especially in school zones. When you’re behind the wheel in the mornings and the afternoons, keep safe driving tips like these in mind:
- Use defensive driving techniques. Keep your head on a swivel and be completely aware of your surroundings. Stay alert and maintain a safe following distance between your Orlando Toyota and the cars in front of you.
- Pay attention to decreased speed limits. When approaching school zones, slow down and observe the lowered speed limit. Slowing down is crucial to the safety of kids walking and riding their bikes to school.
- Avoid distractions. Keep distractions, like your phone, out of reach and out of sight. Your undivided attention should be on driving so you can keep yourself and other drivers safe.
- Don’t pass stopped school buses. If a school bus is loading or unloading, do not go around it while the stop signs are extended. You may only pass it when the signs are retracted and the bus begins to move again.
Improve your commute with an Orlando Toyota
Your commute doesn’t have to be miserable! Instead of being miserable on your way to work or on your way home, use tips from our Orlando Toyota dealerships to improve your drive:
- Check traffic reports before you leave. Before you set out on your morning or afternoon commute, see how long it will take you to get to your destination. Plan an alternate route if necessary.
- Upgrade technology in your Orlando Toyota. Make sure your car has all of the entertainment and convenience technology you need to keep you happy on your ride to work or home! Our Orlando Toyota cars have technology available like Entune App Suite, Bluetooth wireless, SiriusXM satellite radio, and HD Radio!
- Organize a carpool. Save gas and your sanity with a carpool! Gather a group of coworkers to take turns driving to work each morning and driving home.
For more help getting through the back-to-school traffic, visit our Orlando Toyota dealerships at 3575 Vineland Road (Toyota of Orlando) or at 16851 State Road 50 (Toyota of Clermont)!