This weekend is one of Orlando’s largest events that celebrates everything geeky and nerdy. Megacon Orlando covers multiple genres including comic books and anime, so there’s something for everyone. Because of its size and its takeover of the Orange County Convention Center, it might seem a little intimidating. But have no fear! The Orlando Automotive Family has put together a guide for all the newcomers enjoying the con for the first time.
Prepare for Megacon
No matter if you’ve been preparing for months ahead of time or left everything for last minute, Megacon always seems to sneak up on you. Here’s some essential items we suggest bringing with you so you aren’t unprepared when you step through those doors.
- Comfortable shoes – You might not think that you’re walking a lot, but trust us, you will be. From the parking lot…to the ticket distribution…to the panel rooms scattered everywhere. And don’t forget the multiple trips you’ll make through the dealer’s room. Even if you’re a cosplayer in Orlando wearing a costume that requires uncomfortable shoes, we recommend bringing a pair to walk around in, and a second pair to take pictures in.
- Cash – In a world of credit cards, sometimes we forget to even carry cash. And though most artists and vendors will typically utilize a card reader from Square or Etsy, some of them might not. You wouldn’t want to be caught in a situation where your favorite piece of merch is cash only. Plus, you definitely don’t want to pay the ATM fees that they have on site.
- Snacks – This may seem weird since you might have read that plenty of food is available on site. That food is crazy expensive! We’re talking $8 for a pretzel. To save money for the important things (like exclusive Megacon merch) we recommend bringing snacks that can hold you over until you can get to a restaurant off-site.
- Portable charger – You’re more than likely going to be taking hundreds of pictures. That is a quick way to drain your phone’s battery. Carrying a portable charger will allow you to take as many pictures as your storage will allow without having to worry about losing power. These devices are also nice to have for anytime you visit the Orlando theme parks.
No matter if you’re more of a fan of manga or tend to like video games more, Megacon in Orlando will have something for you. Before visiting, we recommend checking out the panel schedule to plan your day! The dealers room will practically be open the whole time, but you might only get to have a chance to meet legends like Stan Lee and Tim Curry once. Speaking of panels, here are some highlights:
- Women in Voice Acting Q&A
- Celebrity Q&A Session with Rocky Horror Stars Barry Bostwick, Nell Campbell & Patricia Quinn
- Celebrity Q&A Session with X‐MEN’S Famke Jannsen
- DC COMICS: REBIRTH with King, Snyder, Palmiotti, Conner, Hardin & Rucka
Whatever you end up doing while at Megacon, the Orlando Automotive Family hopes you have a great time there!